Tuesday 11 September 2012

Colours 2012 & Firestorm Invasion

On Sunday I made my way along the M4 to Newbury racecourse where the annual Colours wargame show was held. This year I was also going to help support some of the Wells club members who work at Spartan Games and were there demonstrating their new 10mm sci-fi game, Firestorm Invasion: Planetfall

click picture to enlarge

I managed to get my first game of the new system around lunchtime (it was that popular I couldn't get at the table) The basic learning game pitted the Terran Alliance against the Dindrenzi Federation forces (a splinter human faction)


click picture to enlarge

The system works with alternating squadrons activating by the order you set the cards in a force stack. The firing uses three different coloured dice to represent weapon types/ranges etc. A 6 on a black d6 = 1 hit, a 6 on a blue d6 = 2 hits, a six on red d6 = 2 hits and a reroll exploding dice. This actually makes for an interesting game as you can improve your dice type in various ways but that might leave your own force open to retaliation. Add in to this, a hand of cards that you can use to do things like call an airstrike, immediately move a second squadron and advance d6 additional inches then it brings in lots of additional tactics and fun

Anyway, enough rambling, here are some more photos from the game 


click picture to enlarge

The plan is to produce the same vehicles in 15mm scale and then 28mm for the two follow on systems that link to Firestorm Invasion: Planetfall. The 15mm game will include infantry whereas the 28mm game will be more squad based

I also grabbed a few snaps of some of the forthcoming Dystopian Legions 28mm figures if anyone is interested. That robot looks sweet!


click picture to enlarge

At this point I went on a walk around the show but completely forgot to take my camera with me so didn't take any other pictures. It wasn't until I was driving home that I realised this

Anyway, swag for the day was minimal (a deliberate plan) I picked up some resin mesa hills from Critical Mass Games, a new oni dog for Bushido and, on a whim, a pack of kung-fu pandas from Black Hat Miniatures


 click picture to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment